Monday, March 3, 2008

Still Life With Rice

I am taking a Korean History class, and as part of the work for the course, we are assigned to read a book about Korea. We were given great liberty in what we could read, and a good friend of mine recommended Still Life With Rice by Helie Lee.

I really liked the book, and I highly recommend it to anybody who is interested in learning about how the role of a Korean woman has changed in the past 100 years. Actually, I would recommend it to just about anybody. It covers the life of the author's grandmother, from her birth during the Japanese occupation, through the liberation of Korea and the Korean war, and up to her life in America.

I liked the book for two reasons. First, it reminded me of how much the Korean people have gone through in a relatively short period of time. Second, it made me realize how much life and society can change in the course of a lifetime. It made me wonder what life will be like when I am 80.

1 comment:

Mika said...

"Well I'll only be 82!"

No, actually, when you are 80 I will be 80. That's just the way things work, I'm afraid. But in my dream last night there were two worlds and the one I was in had some time discrepancies with the other...yes, I've been thinking too much about LOST. Everything went slower in this, though, so maybe when you're 80 I'll only be 40. And then I can keep you up-to-date with what's happening in the world.

Or maybe by then, you just won't care.