Friday, May 9, 2008

How the Mighty Have Fallen

I estimate that most of you have at least a passing knowledge of star wars. It has been shaping the culture of nerds for quite some time now. Have you heard that they are making a new star wars movie? If you have, I am sure that you already know that it is going to be done completely with computer animation. I was skeptical of the idea at first, but had convinced myself that if would be OK. I mean, George Lucas founded Industrial Light and Magic!

I saw a preview for the movie today. I must say, I am underwhelmed. I understand that not all CG movies go for realism. But to be honest, the animation just looks shoddy. To me, it is like they forgot they weren't making a Saturday morning cartoon. This isn't Veggietales.

I also understand trying to create a stylized work. But style doesn't mean you have to sacrifice quality (well... not always). For example, I think that the movie Flushed Away is a great example of using computer graphics, but maintaining a unique style. The characters keep the claymation look, but still look really good. Compare that to the poster on the left. Seriously, Look what they have done to Yoda! He looks like a twelve year old drew him! These graphics look like they don't even match up to the Star Wars video games.

What do you guys think? Am I way off base here? Or is this really as bad as I think it is?

1 comment:

Katie said...

No--you're right. It looks as bad as you say, your perspective is not tainted!!!! Congratulations on the Biggest Loser by the way. Yay for winning!!!