Monday, November 24, 2008

Movies I love that Critics Hate

Every now and then there is a movie that I really enjoy. I think that it accomplishes whatever it was that it set out to do, and made me enjoy the journey. These movies are not always movies that critics enjoy, but you can't always trust what critics say!

1. Stranger than Fiction
I love this movie. I may have a slightly rosy view of this flick because of when I saw it. The night I proposed to Roni, we were on our way to see this very movie. This is a movie about a guy who hears voices. Not just any voices though. This is a person narrating his life, as it happens. It turns out that a local author is writing a novel about a person who she believes is fictional, but who is very much real. I like this movie because it is not your typical Will Ferrell movie. It is (I think) a very original idea for a movie, and does a very good job at making the movie not only fun, but somehow believable.

What they gave it: D (67%)
What I give it: A

2. Secondhand Lions
Family movies are a tough sell. You have to make it interesting enough for kids, funny enough for the older kids, and entertaining enough for the adults. This is a movie that I feel does all of those things very well. It is sweet without being sappy, and I think it has a great story. This movie is about a young boy whose mother drops him off to live with his eccentric uncles for the summer. It has humor, adventure and just about everything in between. If you want a family movie, this is one I strongly recommend.

What they gave it: F (52%)
What I give it: A+

3. Alien Vs. Predator
Action movies. Are they supposed to have plot? Barely. Are they supposed to be believable? Not Really. Should they have aliens, or better yet, TWO types of aliens trying to kill each other?? Most definitely. This isn't a great movie, but it is a great action movie. I don't think you can blame an action movie for be an action movie. In all honesty, I enjoyed this movie more than I enjoyed Dark Knight.

What they gave it: F- (29%)
What I give it: A- (as an action movie)

Do you guys have any movies that should go on this list? Movies that you love, but critics hate? If you do, then leave a comment!

2 comments:

Mika said...

I thought Night at the Museum was great - but its Metacritic score is only 48. What?! How is that even possible? It was really funny and quite interesting. An A from me.

I also loved Finding Neverland, which got a 67 overall. Dumb, dumb. I give it an A-.

Annnnd how come Meet the Robinsons only got a 61? Seriously? It's one of the best movies ever. Very Mika. (Maybe that's why it got mixed reviews...) Definitely an A.

Last but not least, I completely agree with you about Stranger Than Fiction. Even the part where you said maybe we have a biased view of it. Still a fantastic movie!

the romgi said...

On that note, I'll add K-pax. It only got a 49 on metacritic, and it is one of my favorite movies. Maybe it was because I watched right after Zoolander... and Zoolander wasn't hard to one-up.